Your current driving licence can be exchanged for a Danish driving license if your stay in Denmark has lasted more than six months. However, this restriction does not apply to people with a Faroese or Greenlandic driving license or to people with driving licenses issued in an EU or EEA country.
Applying to exchange your driving license
If you would like to apply to exchange your foreign driving license for a Danish driving licence, you need to contact one of the municipalities in the country.
Find the addresses and telephone numbers for the municipalities' citizen centres here
Below, you can find out more about what kind of documentation you will need to bring along with your application.
Documentation to prove who you are
When you submit your application to one of the municipalities in the country, you will have to document your identity. You must therefore bring your current EU driving license or a valid passport. If you do not have either of these, you must instead bring an original copy of your baptismal or birth certificate, your Health Insurance Card or some other suitable proof of identity along with a piece of photo identification.
It is important that your Civil Registration Number (CPR) is clearly displayed on your ID, otherwise you will need to bring an identification document issued by a public authority on which your Civil Registration Number is clearly displayed.
If you have not yet been issued a Civil Registration Number and your date of birth and your name are not clearly displayed on your ID, you must bring an identification document issued by a public authority on which your date and place of birth are clearly displayed.
If your full and correct name does not appear on your identification papers, you may be requested to document a change of name by presenting a wedding certificate, a certificate of name change or documentation of a filing with a marriage authority or national registration office.
Other documents you must bring with you:
Translation of driving licenses
- Your current driving license.
- A valid residence permit or other documentation of residence if you are not a citizen of Denmark or a Nordic country or are not authorised to reside in Denmark without permission.
- A medical certificate issued by your own doctor, if your driving license was not issued in the Faroe Islands, Greenland or in an EU or EEA country.
- A photo - see the requirements for photos illustrated with examples here.
- If you are applying under the Group 1 scheme, when you apply you must provide a written declaration on honour that you have not had your driving license revoked within the last five years and, in addition, that your right to drive has not been restricted or made conditional in any way.
- If you are applying under the Group 2 scheme, when you apply you must provide a written declaration on honour that you have had and have used your driving license for category B (regular car) within the last two years and also provide a written declaration on honour that you have not had your driving license revoked within the last five years and that your right to drive has not been restricted or made conditional in any way.
Please note that the municipalities have a right to obtain a translation of your driving license. As a rule, a translation will be required unless the information on the driving license is printed in English or the driving license has been issued from an EU or an EEA country.